Thursday, March 18, 2010

Back to Basics

The other day I learned a valuable lesson.. sometimes the best way to communicate with someone is face to face. I know that sounds very simplistic, and maybe even rudimentary, but I think we forget the importance of communicating with one another face to face because we communicate so often through our phones or computer screens.

I came to this realization when two of my board members and I spent almost two weeks trying to confirm a room reservation for our networking event we are hosting in April.

We called. We emailed. We left messages. We called again!

None of us could get a response. Time was ticking; plans needed to be made, an event needed to be planned and promoted!

As I sat in the library, pulling my laptop out to send yet another email in an attempt to get this room reservation confirmed, I decided to bypass the electronic route. I stormed over to the office, and lo and behold, had the room I wanted, on the date!

Had I sent another email who knows how long I would have waited for a response. The moral is this, sometimes you have to talk with someone in person, looking them in the eye, to achieve your goal. If the situation allows, I will definitely employ this strategy in my future communication efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment